Pages

Thursday, January 9, 2014

#6 of 30: Storm on the lagoon

"Storm on the Lagoon" - 6x6 - Oil on Canvas
"Tormenta sobre la Laguna" - 15x15 cm
$75


Now for something completely different from the last few days! A landscape..... 
I spent the morning speaking in a castle to a group of Chinese students that have come to Canada for a few weeks to study at Royal Roads University (A university set in the woods with a castle as the centerpiece, gorgeous trails I have spent many hours running through and the best part of all: it is 10 minutes from my house and on the ocean). Their Major is Culture, Art and Business and they wanted to know the story Coast Collective, the Art Centre I helped create for the last 5 years. I had an interpreter and it was very interesting since that is actually my background! I went to university for 8 years to be an ESL teacher and Translator (Spanish of course!) many many moons ago.  Anyway, by the time I came back home I was very tired and not in the mood for fighting with paint and brushes so I decided to do what I enjoy the most, big brushstrokes, sort of playful, using a photo as a reference but not really sticking to it 100%. I also wanted it to not take to long and I did it. I am pleased with it and I had fun which is the main thing. I should also add that the other speaker with me this morning was Ken Faulks, a local very talented artists who has his studio  at Coast Collective. As part of his presentation he showed some of his work (which I love) and he inspired me today to go back to a landscape and to go nuts with brushwork. Let the fun begin!!!  I may even do a second one now and see if I can work towards getting caught up! 
(By the way, the horizon line is straight on the painting and not on the photo!) 

*****

Bueno, ahora algo completamente diferente a lo que he echo en los últimos días! Un paisaje....
Hoy me pasé la mañana dando una charla a un grupo  de estudiantes de China que han venido a Canadá a estudiar en la Universidad Royal Roads (una universidad que  está en el bosque, con un castillo como centro de atracción, senderos hermosos en los que he pasado muchas horas corriendo y lo mejor de todo: queda a 10 minutos de mi casa y está sobre el mar). La especialidad de estos estudiantes en negocios, cultura y arte y querían saber la historia de Coast Collective, el Centro de Arte que ayudé a formar en los últimos 5 años. Tuve un intérprete y fue re interesante ya que esa solía ser mi área. (Estudié durante 8 años para ser traductora y profesora de inglés/español hace muchas muchas lunas!) La cosa es que cuando volví a casa está tarde estaba cansada, sin ganas de luchar con los pinceles y pintura así que decidí hacer lo que más me gusta: pinceladas grandes, casi como jugando, usando una foto como referencia pero no siguiéndola al 100%. También quería que no me llevara demasiado tiempo. Y lo logré. Estoy satisfecha con lo que hice y lo mejor de todo es que lo disfruté mucho que es lo más importante. También tengo que agregar que Ken Faulks fue el otro artista que dio la charla conmigo. Ken es un artista local con mucho talento que tiene su taller en Coast Collective. Como parte de su presentación Ken mostró su trabajo (que me encanta) y el fue mi inspiración hoy para volver a los paisajes y darle rienda suelta a las pinceladas. Que empiece la diversión ahora! Tal vez hasta haga otro para ver si puedo ponerme al día! (La línea del horizonte está derecha en el cuadro y no en la foto!) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...