Pages

Friday, January 17, 2014

#15 of 30: Sheashells Study

"Seashells Study" - 6x6 - Oil on Canvas
"Estudio de Conchas Marinas" - 15x15cm - Oleo
$75

I was hoping to get caught up today as again I had a long nice beautiful day devoted to just painting. I started with one more try for a tulip painting and the composition was not working at all....I knew that from the beginning but I liked the arrangement and tried to make it fit into the format I had anyway. Well..... You probably know how that ended. Wiped. Twice. The afternoon was well into its way and I made a complete switch: Got a completely different arrangement (I actually ended up with 2 new arrangements and may use the other one tomorrow) and started very confidently on this seashells study. Living on the coast here, I have collections of seashells scattered through the yard which of course I picked because they had something interesting to paint!  But today it was actually the first time I painted shells and I loved it! It was a study on white as well, because everything was white but of course I ended up with the most beautiful range of greys. I had used Transparent Earth Orange for the drawing and that sort of contaminated  the whole thing and I totally ran with it as I love the warmth it gave the piece. I hadn't toned the canvas for this one which I usually do.  The lesson today is: if something feels wrong from the get-go, just don't do it! Why try to force it and make something good out of something that never had any potential! I could spend a while longer on this one just correcting some details but I don't want it to lose its freshness. Hope you like it. 

*****

 Hoy esperaba ponerme al día ya que de nuevo tenía todo un día largo hermoso para pintar. Empecé con otra toma distinta de un tulipán y la composición no funcionaba para nada..... Sabía eso de entrada pero como me gustaba la idea que tenía y traté de que me entrara en el formato que tenía. Bueno.... Ya saben como terminó eso. Borrada. Dos veces. Ya estaba entrada la tarde e hice un cambio radical: Puse un arreglo completamente diferente (Armé 2 en realidad, tal vez use el otro mañana) y empecé con mucha confianza con este estudio de conchas marinas. Al vivir sobre el mar tengo una colección grande de caracoles y conchas marinas en recipientes en el patio por ejemplo. (Por supuesto cada una de ellas fue elegida porque tenían algo interesante para pintar!). Hoy fue en realidad la primera vez que pinté una y me encantó. También fue un estudio de blanco: todo el arreglo era blanco y por supuesto terminé con los tonos más hermosos de grises. Había usado Naranja Tierra Transparente (un color en particular) para hacer el dibujo y ese color "contaminó" todo lo que me dio una tonalidad muy cálida para la pieza en general que me gusta mucho. No había pintado el lienzo con ningún color de base que normalmente hago. La lección del día es: si algo no funciona desde el comienzo, abandonarlo rápido! Para qué tratar de forzar alto para que sea bueno si nunca tuvo futuro en realidad! Podría pasarme otro buen rato corrigiendo algunos detalles per no quiero que pierda la espontaneidad que tiene. Espero que les guste.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...