Pages

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

#20 of 30: January Shadows

"January Shadows" - 6x6 - Oil on Canvas
"Sombras en Enero" - 15x15cm - Oleo
$75

I was on a roll today and went for a second painting to see if I can get caught up. Yesterday afternoon  I saw these snowdrops and they stopped me on my tracks. They were sitting in front of a terracota pot and with the sun shining on them they they casting these gorgeous shadows. The shadows are actually what interested me and caught my attention. I took some photos with my IPad (I use it ALL the time!)  and voilá, here is number 2 for the day.

It was interesting to tackle this one as I first drew and painted the flowers. Then after they were mostly in I started drawing the shadows. First I drew them without the orange/red from the pot, thinking that I would fill in the blanks with the pot colour. But after yesterday's experience I ended up painting the pot and then drawing them again with the darker value. Of course there was a fair bit of adjusting values afterwards but it was fun to see the plan come together. This is the great thing about this daily painting, we build up what we learn and we are hopefully learning from our mistakes! 

Only one behind now, I can do it, I can do it! :)

*****

Las cosas estaban funcionando bien hoy por lo que hice una segunda pintura para ver si me pongo al día. Ayer vi estan Campanitas de Invierno y me pararon  en el acto. Estaban plantadas adelante de una maceta de terracota y con el sol formaban unas sombras maravillosas. Estas sombras son en realidad lo que me interesó y lo que me llamó la atención. Les saqué unas cuantas fotos con el IPad (que lo uso TODO el tiempo) y voilá, acá está la segunda del día. 

Fue interesante planear esta pintura ya que primero dibujé y pinté las flores. Después de que estaban ya bien encaminadas, primero dibujé las sombras sin pintar el naranja/rojo de la maceta, pensando que iba a "llenar los espacios" después con el color de la maceta. Pero después de la experiencia de ayer, decidí pintar primero la maceta y después dibujar las sombras de nuevo con el color más oscuro. Por supuesto que tuve que ajustar los claros y oscuros después pero fue muy bueno ver que el plan funcionó. Esto es algo muy bueno de estas pinturas diarias, los aprendizajes se acumulan todos los días y aprendemos de nuestros errores! 

Estoy atrás una sola ahora, yo puedo hacerlo, si que puedo! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...