Pages

Saturday, September 7, 2013

Day 7: Race Day

"Race Day" - 6x6 - Oil on Canvas
"Día de Carrera" - 15x15cm. - Óleo sobre Lienzo|
$75

SOLD


Every year in May there is a sailing race in Victoria called Swiftsure. It is an overnight race and it goes from Victoria out to Swiftsure Banks and back in the Juan de Fuca and Haro Straight. It brings sailors from all over the place and it is a great weekend event. (Lots of times the race is nicknamed "Driftsure" when there is no wind!) Today I dug out the photo I took quite a few years ago at the race start and decided to give it a go in oils. I have tried it in watercolors, acrylics and I am still drawn to the action of the race. I wanted to capture the movement more than anything and what looks like confusion from shore.
I am happy as today I was actually able to do 2 today. I used the same reference, just different parts of the photo and as I was using relatively the same palette I painted them at the same time.
So yes! I am ahead one painting for the challenge in case I can't do it one day.

*****

Todos los años en Mayo hay una regata en victoria que se llama Swiftsure. Es una cara que dura más de 24 horas y va desde Victoria hasta Swiftsure Banks en el Estrecho de Juan de Fuca y Haro. Atrae a   Participantes de todos lados y es un gran evento ese fin de semana. Hoy saque la foto de la pila y decidí tratarla con óleos. La he pintado hace muchos años en acuarelas y en acrílicos y todavia sme atrae mucho toda la accion de la carrera. Quería más que nada capturar el movimiento y lo que parece  confusión desde la costa. 
Estoy contenta porque hoy pude hacer 2 pinturas. Use la misma foto de referencia, partes diferentes de la foto y como usaba más o menos la misma paleta los pinte a los 2 al mismo tiempo.
Así qué, si! Tengo una de reserva  por las dudas no pueda pintar un día.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE this one! Awesome variety of brush stroke thicknesses, amazing blending filled with movement and energy. I see in the sky the brushstrokes were applied from different angles and directions. This is a great way to depict the wind. Maybe next time try experimenting with this same technique more in the water just to see how it turns out. It might create an even stronger sense of wave motion.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...