Pages

Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Day 26 of 30: New Start

New Start  - 6x6 - Oil on Canvas
Nuevo Comienzo - 15x15cm - Oleo



I did 2 paintings today..... but will only show you one..... I  wiped the first one. I started with an idea, I had an okeish reference photo and  I went for it. I knew from the get-go that it wasn't a great composition but  I thought (very wrongly) that I would be able to fix it as I went along. Well, I changed things several times and in the end I said, this is just not working. So I pulled a different canvas and did a 6x6 sky with the paint on my pallette. I am pleased with this one, I like the soft colours in it. I need to remember for the future: If I am not 100% sold on an idea, DO NOT GO FOR IT!!! There's a reason why experienced, talented, awesome artists do thumbnails and notans and sketches beforehand and work out all the kinks that way before committing to the big canvas.  This is the beauty of smallish daily paintings though. I only invested a couple of hours today which of course were not wasted anyway as I learnt not only how to move paint around was reminded that it is much better to have a plan one is excited about!

"The anatomy of the picture is always more important
than the anatomy of the subject." - (Marc Awodey)

*****

Hoy hice dos cuadros.... Pero sólo les voy a mostrar uno ya que al otro lo borré. Tenía una una idea, una foto de referencia más o menos y empecé no más. Sabía desde el principio que la composición no era la mejor pero pensé (muy erróneamente) que iba a poder hacer correcciones en el camino. Y bueno, moví algunos elementos y llegó un punto que dije, esto no está funcionando. Así que agarré un lienzo chiquito nuevo e hice este cielo con la pintura que tenía en la paleta. Me gusta como quedó, me gustan los colores especialmente. Tengo que recordar la próxima vez que si no estoy completamente segura de una idea, NO TENGO QUE SEGUIR ADELANTE!!!!! Esta es la razón por la que pintores buenísimos, con experiencia y talento comienzan con bosquejos en miniatura, notan (dibujo solamente blanco y negro para mostrar la luz y la sombra), bosquejos preliminares  para de esa manera resolver todos los posible problemas antes de empezar en un lienzo grande. Lo bueno de la pintura diaria en cuadros chiquitos es que hoy por ejemplo sólo invertí un par de horas antes de borarlo que no fueron mal gastadas ya que practiqué empujar pintura de acá para allá y recordé que es siempre bueno tener un plan de acción con el que uno está satisfecho!


"La anatomía del cuadro es siempre más importante
que la anatomía del sujeto." - (Marc Awodey)

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you Sheila .... Funny that I struggled with the other painting for a couple of hours first..... we have to trust those first instincts eh?

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...