Pages

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Under the Grapevine - #23 of 30

"Under the Grapevine" - 8x10 - Oil on Birch Panel
"Debajo de la Parra" - 20x25cm - Oleo


I have been procrastinating to do this painting for the whole 24 days of the challenge, it was on the original bunch I printed.  And there was a reason for avoiding it! Those shadows gave me the grief I expected today and I am not sure I got it totally solved and finished. They kept getting bigger and bigger and it would take a lot of conscious effort to make them go back to the original shape! I was so glad I took a photo at the somewhat beginning stages because it helped me later on to look and say "Hey! What happened?? How did I lose all that great empty space on the wall and filled it with shadows that were not there to begin with?" Will live with it for a few days and look at it with fresh eyes. Lesson today?  Paint more shadows to get them right!  Love the colours though!

This door can be found at a B&B on the hill up to the lighthouse in Brunate, the town above Como. There were tables and chairs under the grapevine overlooking the great view of the city of Como below.

*****

He estado procrastinando todo el mes para hacer esta pintura, estaba dentro del primer grupo de fotos que imprimí para pintar y todavía no lo echo. Había una razón por la que la estaba evadiendo:  Esas sombras me dieron el trabajo que suponía me iban a dar y no estoy segura de que funcionan bien todavía, no se si están terminadas.  Se ponían cada vez más grandes y requirieron mucha atención para traerlas de nuevo al tamaño original. Por suerte había sacado una foto en la etapa inicial  y me ayudó para ver y de repente decir: "Hey! que pasó? Cómo es que perdí todo ese espacio libre en la pared y lo llené con sombras que no existían?" Lo voy a observar por unos días y lo quiero mirar mañana con ojos frescos. La lección del día? Pintar más sombras para aprender!  Me encantan los colores que logré. :)

Esta puerta está en un B&B en la subida hacia el faro en Brunate, el pueblo que está arriba de Como. Había mesas y sillas en el patio debajo de una parra desde donde se veía una gran vista de la ciudad de Como.

6 comments:

  1. These are really nice works you are creating... I also rediscovered oil-painting yesterday after a break of 40+ years since art college, and I find the medium very exciting to use (plus the smell of turpentine is intoxicating!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ed, the smell going into my studio is the best, always puts a smile on my face, junkies we are eh? Yes, oils are wonderful and I am learning daily how to handle them.
      What is your blog? I can't see that, only your user name. Would like to see some of your work.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you Sue! They were fun colours to work with :)

      Delete
  3. Beautiful painting... Love the shadows, the tree, the color of the door...everything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Karin! Are you enjoying the challenge?

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...