Pages

Wednesday, December 16, 2015

The flag bearer

"The Flag Bearer" - 6x6 - Oil on Canvas
"El Banderista" - 15x15cm - Oleo
$100

Click Here to Purchase

A few years ago I started sort of by accident to collect Nutcrackers, every year I seem to get one or 2 added to my collection and by now I have a fair number of them.... This year I wanted to paint them. So I set out to do it and he started getting ticked off with me with all the facials and different eyebrow and nose jobs he was getting! He was in much need of dental work a few times through the panting session. We had LOTS of conversations back and forth! In the end he was  pretty pleased with his portrait!


I was wondering a bit about the history behind nutcrackers, specially the look on their faces, they look very scary and mean. My son Mateo used to be afraid of them as a little kid. This is some interesting stuff I found, I specially like the reason for their stern looks.

According to German folklore, nutcrackers were given as keepsakes to bring good luck to your family and protect your home. The legend says that a nutcracker represents power and strength and serves like a trusty watch dog guarding your family from evil spirits and danger. A fierce protector, the nutcracker bares its teeth to the evil spirits and serves as the traditional messenger of good luck and goodwill. (We are very protected now then!!)


    “Don’t be afraid, my beard is long, my head is large, my look is grim but that matters not. I won’t bite you. In spite of my big mouth and grim appearance, I look with my heart for your happiness.”
http://www.magicofnutcrackers.com/Nutcrackers/HistoryofNutcrackers.htm

Hope your xmas preparations are going well..... mine are very behind.... but I am happy painting!

Marcela

*****


Hace algunos años empecé medio por accidente a coleccionar cascanueces, todos los años agrego uno o dos a la colección y ahora ya tengo unos cuantos.... Este año decidí pintarlos. Así es que empecé con uno y él se me enojó bastante con todos los tratamientos para la piel y los distitntos looks que le dí en las cejas y la nariz! En algunos momentos, le hacía mucha falta ir a ver al dentista! Tuvimos muchas conversaciones mientra lo pintaba y al final me parece que él terminó bastante contento con su retrato! :)

Tenía curiosidad por saber un poco sobre la historia de los cascanueces, especialmente el por qué
de sus miradas enojadas. Mi hijo Mateo les tenía miedo cualdo era chiquito. Acá hay un poco de información bastante interesante que encontré. Me gusta especialmente la razón por la que tienen esa mirada tan enojada. 

De acuerdo con el folklore alemán, los cascanueces se daban de regalo para que trajeran buena suerte a la familia y para que protegieran el hogar. La leyenda dice que el cascanuez representa poder y fortaleza y sirve de guardián de tu casa contra espíritus malignos y peligro. Es un protector feroz, que muestra sus dientes a los espíritus malignos y sirve de mensajero tradicional de buena suerte y buena voluntad. (Estamos muy protegidos entonces en mi casa!)


"No tengas miedo, mi barba es larga, mi cabeza grande y mi mirada es mala pero eso no imprta. No te voy a morder. A pesar de mi boca grande y mi apariencia que da miedo, guardo tu felicidad con mi corazón" 
http://www.magicofnutcrackers.com/Nutcrackers/HistoryofNutcrackers.htm

Espero que sus preparativos para la navidad anden bien,  los mios adan muy atrazados pero estoy pintando mucho!! :)

Marcela


 

3 comments:

  1. The painting is wonderful - love the colors too. I never knew the story so I enjoyed reading this post very much. Enjoy Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julie! We learn more than just painting when we paint. :) Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  2. The painting is wonderful - love the colors too. I never knew the story so I enjoyed reading this post very much. Enjoy Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...