Pages

Saturday, September 30, 2017

The Sound of Silence (23 of 30) & Quiet (24 of 30)


The Sound of Silence - 9x12 - Oil on Birch Panel
El Sonido del Silencio - 23x30cm - Oleo
Marcela Strasdas


Quiet - 6x6 - Oil on Canvas
Silencio - 15x15cm -Oleo
Marcela Strasdas

As we were on Cabin Island on Ennadai Lake for the whole day and there was so much to paint I actually just moved the easel about 10 feet, faced a different direction and set out to work again after finishing this painting and sharing a lovely lunch on the beach. 
I tried again doing 2 different paintings at the same time, trying out 2 different compositions. In this case, I wanted to see it looked with and without the sky portion and a square versus a rectangular version. When I say I do them at the same time, they are both up on the easel, one above the other, I sketch and do the block in for both of them and then I set out to work on one, to move on to the other one as I am pretty much finished with the first one. I am really enjoying these explorations of the same subject in different and I can hardly wait to have time back in the studio to keep diving.


Block In done - bloqueo inicial terminado

One of the things that will always stand out for me from this day was that while I was painting, I actually heard silence for a long time. It's something that we don't experience very often and I have been trying to think whether I had heard it ever before. Typically while I'm painting, there's a breeze, the rustle of leaves, people close by talking, boats going by, etc. This particular day was eerily quiet, at one point when I actually noticed it, it felt as if I was in a vacuum. There was NOTHING, no sound at all for a while. It was a special day for sure. 

 



*****


Como estuvimos en la Isla Cabaña en el Lago Ennadai el día completo y había tanto para pintar simplemente moví mi atril unos metros después de terminar este cuadro, lo puse en otra dirección y empecé a trabajar de nuevo después de compartir un hermoso almuerzo en la playa. Traté de nuevo de hacer dos cuadros diferentes el mismo tiempo, tratando dos composiciones diferentes. En este caso quería ver cómo quedaba con o sin cielo y quería también ver la versión cuadrada o rectangular. Cuando digo que los hago al mismo tiempo, pongo los dos paneles en el atril, uno arriba de otro, hago el dibujo y bloqueo inicial para los dos y después empiezo a trabajar en uno, continuando con el segundo una vez que que terminado el primero. Estoy realmente disfrutando mucho de estos exploraciones del mismo tema en formas diferentes y tengo muchas ganas de volver al taller para seguir cone estos procesos  y series.

Una de las cosas que siempre voy a recordar de este día que mientras estaba pintando, escuché el sonido del silencio durante un largo tiempo. Es algo que no vivimos muy a menudo con tanto ruido alredor todo el tiempo. Estaba tratando de pensar si alguna vez he escuchado un silencio total como el de ese día. Típicamente hay aunque sea una brisa, el ruido de las hojas, gente cerca hablando, pájaros, etc. Este día en particular había silencio puro, era como si yo hubiera estado. No había nada, ningún tipo de sonido durante un largo rato. Fue un día muy especial.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...