Pages

Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Showing Up (Day 3 of 260)

"Showing Up" - Ink on Watercolour Paper
"Aparecer" - Tinta sobre Papel de Acuarela


"Showing Up" was done on Day 3 of the 260 Days of Art Making.  Had no time that day for a longer painting session and I really enjoy the meditative aspect of zentangling. I did it on a piece of watercolour paper and I am not sure I'll keep using that as I didn't enjoy the texture on the paper, I much prefer the smoothness of hot press paper.
Showing up is the answer to so many things, getting better at your art, marketing, getting healthier and stronger. If we do things for only a couple of days and then stop,  whether that is do a drawing, a plein air painting, try to lose weight or run a marathon, we will not see good results. We have to put the effort with dedication.
I asked Stephen Quiller at the workshop in August: "If you were to give me one piece  of advice for me to follow to get better at my art, what would that be?"  His answer: "Show up. I just kept showing up at the studio and don't stop". Same with Jeanne Bessette a couple of weeks before, her answer was: "You have to put the devotion into your work to get better". I get the same answer when I talk to or observe artists I admire. Have you heard of  the 10,000 hours? It is said that if you put 10,000 hours into something, be it golf, painting or cooking, anything, you will master it. THAT is my motivation to do this year long project. Plain and simple. I just want to get better. How about you? What are you committed to?

***** 

Hice "Aparecer" el Día 3 de los 260 Días de Hacer Arte.  No tuve tiempo ese día para una sesión más larga de pintura y disfruto mucho el aspecto meditativo del zentangle. Lo hice en un pedazo de papel de acuarela  y  no creo que lo use de nuevo para esto ya que no me gustó la textura del papel, prefiero papeles mas lisos para dibujar con tinta.
Aparecer (o estar presente o atender, no sé muy bien cómo traducir esto) es la respuesta para muchas cosas. No podemos esperar resultados positivos si hacemos algo solamente uno o dos día, ya sea pintar, dibujar, tratar de bajar de peso o entrenar para una maratón. Tenemos que seguir haciendo con dedicación.

Le pregunté a Stephen Quiller en el curso en Agosto: "Si me tuvieras que dar un consejo para mejorar mi pintura, cuál sería?". Su respuesta: "Aparecé, yo simplemente seguí apareciendo en el taller y no paré". Lo mismo me dijo Jean Bessette, en el retiro en Agosto, su respuesta fue: "Tenés que poner devoción en tu arte para mejorar". Recibo la misma respuesta cuando hablo u observo artistas que yo admiro. Han escuchado algunas vez a alguien hablar de las 10.000 horas? Se dice que si uno pone 10.000 horas en algo, lo que sea, golf, cocina o pintura, uno se va a transformar en maestro de esa disciplina. ESA es mi motivación para el proyecto de este año. Simple. Quiero mejorar. Y vos? Estás comprometido a qué?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...