Pages

Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Lake Villas Revised

"Lake Villas" - 8x10 - Oil on Birch Panel
"Casonas del Lago" - 15x20 - Oleo
$120



This is the painting before touching up



This is one of the paintings from the 30 day challenge. The day I painted it I was short on time so I did the so called "37-minute exercise" (Look at Robert Genn's post on this)  Now I was able to see the painting with fresh eyes having as reference all the other paintings from the challenge I was happy with. I tried to add what I felt was missing.  At the beginning I thought I had to correct the buildings, the shapes especially. But I started darkening the darks; of course, the lights got automatically lighter and I felt this was a good direction to take. I have only heard this about a million times but there is nothing like experiencing something to actually go "Ahhhhhhh!!!! THAT is how it works!" You know what I mean? So, we need to remember that many times in order to make something lighter we just make whatever is next to it darker as everything is relative to whatever is next to it. There may not be a lighter light to add to make the work pop so the only option is to go in exactly the opposite direction: daken the darks. I also added some reflections and light in the water, some dark touches on the buildings and I am much more pleased with this painting now. It looks more finished to me. Onto the next one! I will show you in the next posts some other ones I corrected this week.

Remember I am hosting with June Haynes an Open House this Saturday Oct 11, 2 to 4 pm . We are showcasing the 60 paintings we created during the month of September.  This is happening at my home studio, 1066 River Rd. Victoria. Email me for special directions if you need them. marcelastrasdas@gmail.com

*****

Esta es una de las pinturas del desafío de 30 días.  El día que la pinté  no tenía mucho tiempo así que hice lo que se llama "un ejercicio de 37 minutos" (Miren el post de Robert Genn sobre este tema) Esta semana pude mirar este cuadro con ojos frescos y teniendo como referencia los que me habían gustado del mes anterior empecé a cambiar algunas cosas. Al principio pensé que tenía que corregir las formas de los edificios, pero fuí en otra dirección y empecé a oscurecer los oscuros. Por supuesto, inmediatamente las luces se veían mas claras. He escuchado esto aporximadamente un millón de veces pero no hay nada mejor que descubrirlo uno mismo y decir: "Ahhhhh!!!!  ASI es como funciona!!" Entienden?  Asi que tenemos que recordar que muchas veces para que algo sea mas claro, tenemos que oscurecer lo que hay al lado ya que todo es relativo a lo que tiene al lado. Tal vez no haya una luz mas clara de la que ya hemos puesto y entonces la única opción es ir en la dirección opuesta: Oscurecer los oscuros. También agregué algunos reflejos y luz en el agua y unos toques oscuros en los edificios. Estoy mucho mas contenta con los resultados. Se vé mas terminada ahora. Seguimos con la próxima! Les voy a mostrar en los próximos días otros cambios que hice en otros cuadros.

Recuerden que este sábado Oct 11, de 2 a 4 pm  June Haynes y yo hemos organizado una muestra informal en mi casa. (1066 River Rd, Victoria) Vamos a mostrar los 60 cuadros que pintamos en el mes de Septiembre. Si necesitan instrucciones para llegar a mi casa manden mensaje por favor a marcelastrasdas@gmail.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...