Pages

Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Going North (#85 of 100)

"Going North" - 6x8 - Oil on Canvas
"Rumbo al Norte" - 15x20cm - Oleo
$90
This is one I painted last August on the boat and hadn't posted.
Este es uno que pinté en Agsto del año pasado y no había incluído acá.



Wow, so much has happened since my last post. Days are going by too fast to get everything done!!

The week before last I went to Vancouver for a 3 day workshop with Liz Wiltzen and, as expected, I did not come home disappointed. Liz is a great artist and instructor! Some of the things we covered on the course, I had already studied or heard of before in other workshops or at other times (which does not mean that those things had sunk in anyway!!) I think that my painting is like stacking blocks..... Every time I cover a certain aspect or subject I can go deeper and build on things I already know (or thought I knew). I am able to see things differently and we are reminded of things we knew but forgot to put into practise.  I am still processing everything we covered. Again, I highly recommend you take a workshop with Liz if you ever can.

Even though I haven't been posting I have been painting like a mad woman. I've been working on my very large canvas which has been a roller coaster, some days I love it, some days I hate it.....It is almost done and then I'll show you. I have started a crow painting that I want to donate to a fundraiser and have another one on the go (boats again).

Swiftsure was also here, a sailing race that happens here in Victoria every May. I went to the start line and I took, in about an hour and a half,  592 photos! Talk about having reference material there! I should be able to find a couple that may work for a good painting.  As a matter of fact I have already roughed one on a 24x48 canvas! I am shooting for having them done by next week.


I don't want this post to get super long but this was also a big event last week. I was deeply sadenned by Robert Genn's passing. We all knew it was coming but it was truly sad when it did happen. Mr Genn was, unbeknown to him, a great influence on me. I will be forever grateful for all his insightful letters which on more than one occassion were "written specifically for me". Many times it seemed  they were EXACTLY what I needed to hear that day. I know lots of artists feel the same way. In order to honour him, I did what he said we should all do: I went to my room and painted. He is already missed. (If you don't know about Robert Genn's Twice-a-week letter, you can still get them as older ones (still applicable) and new ones written by his daughter Sara are being mailed now. Go to "The Painter's Keys" and subscribe to the emails. Highly recommend them!

Thanks for visiting, sorry for the long post!


*****

Wow, han pasado tantas cosas desde la última vez que escribí. Los días pasan demasiado rápido para hacer todo lo que quiero hacer!

Hace dos semanas, fui a Vancouver  a un curso de 3 días con Liz Wiltzen y como yo esperaba, no volví desilusionada. Liz es una instructora y artista excepcional! Algunas de las cosas que vimos en el curso ya había cubierto en otros cursos (o ya había escuchado de esas cosas sin entrar en profundidad).  Creo que mi pintura puede compararse con bloques de construcción. Cada vez que aprendo algo nuevo, esos descubimientos pueden ir sobre los bloques que ya he establecido y puedo  ir a distintos niveles de profundidad. Veo las cosas de forma distinta (Y todavía estoy procesando todo lo que aprendimos en el curso!) Ya he dicho esto en otros posts: Recomiendo mucho un curso con Liz si alguna vez pueden.

A pesar de no haber estado escribiendo sí he estado pintando a lo loco. He seguido trabajando en el lienzo enorme que ha sido una montaña rusa, algunos días me encanta, otros días la oido.... Ya está casi terminado y cuando esté se los muestro. He empezado uno con cuervos para donar a una cena de recaudación de fondos y tengo otra mas empezada en un lienzo de 61x122 cm. (Veleros de nuevo).

Hablando de veleros, Swifsure  fue hace dos fines de semanas, una regata que ocurre todos los años en Mayo. Fui a la línea de largada y en una hora y media saqué 592 fotos!! Seguro que voy a poder encontrar una o dos fotos buenas para pintar! La verdad es que ya tengo una empezada, quisiera poder terminarla para la semana que viene.

No quiero que este post se haga tan largo pero tengo que mencionar un evento importante la semana pasada. Estuve muy triste por la muerte de Robert Genn. Sabíamos que iba  a pasar en cualquier momento pero de todas maneras fue muy triste cuando de verdad llegó el momento. Robert Genn fue una gran influencia para mí. Voy a estar siempre agradecida por sus cartas que muchas veces fueron escritas "especialmente para mí" ya que muchos días era EXACTAMENTE lo que yo necesitaba escuchar. Sé que muchos artistas comparten estos pensamientos. En su honor, hice lo que él siempre decía que había que hacer: andá a  tu pieza y pintá! Se lo va a extrañar mucho con seguridad. (Si no saben de las cartas que Robert Genn manda 2 veces por semana, todavía pueden recibirlas ya que se va a seguir mandando cartas viejas y nuevas escritas por Sara Genn, la hija de Robert.  Vayan a "The Painters Keys" y  pueden anotarse para recibirlas. Las recomiendo!

Gracias por visitarme, disculpas por ser un post tan largo!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...